We have recently been working with a client to place some magazine ads. It’s been a lot of fun figuring out magazine demographic data and how to use that to most efficiently coordinate our marketing efforts, so we thought we’d share these tips for what to think about when planning magazine ads.
Magazine Ads Tips
- Match readers to customers: When evaluating magazine ads and their effectiveness, it is important to look at the demographic information of the readers. Every magazine will provide a media kit that includes all that information (and more) to evaluate. What you are looking for is a readership that matches your target customer (if you aren’t 100% sure who your target customer is, definitely contact us so we can help you figure that out!).
- Try e-mail advertising to subscribers. Many magazines also have email addresses for their subscribers, so be sure to ask if there are any email advertising opportunities.
- Ask for discounts! If you are doing a print ad in the magazine, see what they will charge for a story or whether you can get a deal on a banner ad on their website. Don’t be shy!
- Include a press release. When working with a magazine it is very common to write a press release that they can use as they see fit. This ensures that they have all the information they need to add power to your advertising message.
- Repetition is key. Brands that find ways to have a presence in a magazine month after month can see better results compared to companies doing a one-off ad. You want their regular readership to think of you immediately if they have a need (or want) for your product.
These days there is so much buzz about social media and online advertising that people sometimes forget to go back to the basics, like magazine ads. We are happy to work with you to discern what marketing approach fits best with your product and target customer. Give Niki a shout at email@example.com to schedule a complimentary consultation.